Friday, September 07, 2007

My Morning Coffee Lesson

It all started when I planned on getting up at about 6am this morning (which may have been a little unreasonable since I worked until midnight last night), and then proceeded to sleep in until 8am... when I had class at 9:30am... I panicked a bit, but quickly realised that if I forwent my morning shower, made coffee in the bodum, and had a very small breakfast, I could easily make it to the bus stop on time for my first class.

So, I do all the above... except, I normally have a cup of coffee at home (to warm me up to the idea of me leaving the bed/house), and then a second cup for en-route to school. I had to skip the cup at home, this would later prove to be a fatal mistake.

I then proceeded to give a goodbye hug to the dog (whom I think I smother, probably not a good sign for the mental health of any future children of mine), and rush out the door to the bus stop.

I cross the cross walk, just in time for the light to change and to see my bus coming... I am already at the stop, so things are good. There are two busses, one is mine (the 14), the other I have no idea, and still do not know what number it was.

Now, this is where the fateful twist occurs.

For reasoning that is beyond me, I step onto the first bus that arrives... which is not my bus. This I think is partially due to the fact that at this point, while I am holding my coffee, I haven't had any of it yet.

Not only did I get onto the wrong bus, but I did not realise this mistake until after some sips, and numerous stops, and suddenly finding myself entering Uplands. Uplands is near UVic, but most definately NOT along my bus's route, nor is it anywhere near the most direct ways to UVic from downtown.

The bus then proceeds to WIND through Uplands... down Cadboro Bay road, along the water... PAST the road that goes to UVic (there was a lot of praying happening at this point) and around god-knows-where-land. I saw lots of pretty houses, I have no idea where I was. The trees were fairly dense, houses/lots were larger, and there was an increasingly suburban feeling to the area.

Eventually, after about 45 minutes of this, the bus arrives at UVic (this I think is a direct result from the frantic praying), just in time for me to arrive to my over-filled class 35 minutes late (which is bad when your class is only 50 minutes long....), where I have to sit on the floor with a bunch of first-years because the class is overbooked.

Oh, did I mention that I tripped and spilled my coffee on someone's bag upon my very-late arrival at class ? Yea, cause it certainly wasn't ALREADY an embarassing enough of a situation.

I talked to my prof (I am also on the waiting list for this class), whom seemed sympathetic, and he agreed to take me off the waiting list and put me in the class. I think he just felt bad for my pathetic-ness... also it helped that its a first-year class and I am the only student with 4th year standing on the waiting list.

Which also brings me to a WHOLE new level of embarassment considering I am probably one of the OLDEST students in the class... sigh.

So yea, that was my morning...

The moral of this story:

NEVER leave the house without at least consuming one cup of coffee.

1 comment:

Bravecat said...

Yup. Never ever.