Sunday, January 14, 2007

Daunting.

So, I have a new home !! Cody and I have found the perfect suite downtown, right on Yates, and smack in the middle of everything. I'm tres excited to move in and enjoy the space, but I am daunted by the idea of moving there right now. Its so much work and stres to move, especially when its my first time on my own, with a bf, and while I'm doing full time schooling.

I started the task today. I went and got some groceries from Thrifty's and asked my friend Amy who works there for some heavy-duty potatoe boxes to start packing books. Now, Cody has warned me that there is a lot more 'stuff' in my room than I am aware of, but I had no idea until this evening. I got three large potatoe boxes and proceded to pack them when I got home. The first one was quickly filled with old textbooks and notes from past schoolwork that I want to keep (but will almost definately never use). Then I cleaning off the top two shelves of my bookcase. Only two shelves ! They took up two entire boxes worth of books ! I now still have my entire desk and the bottom two shelves (not to mention other books tucked into the niches of my room) remaining !!

So, suffice to say I have more books than previously estimated. I am going to tackly my endless piles of crap and collected random nonsense next. These include christmas cards from my extended family for the last 5 years that I have never had the heart to recycle. I also found my old camera in my closet, along with two undeveloped rolls of film (the fact that these are even from the era of rolls of film should give you an idea as to how much of a packrat I can be). My goal is to get through all the useless crap that I have and do not wish to take with me within the next week or so, then all I will have left is the boxes upon boxes of meaningful crap and books !

I swear sometimes I get the urge to just burn all this stuff, its such an annoyance. I vow, that from now on, I am going to be a minimalist.

P.S. I am also inviting my friends to come and help me pack. In return, people who help me pack (or have a damn good excuse) are invited to our house warming party once we move in !! YAY.

P.P.S. There are attached photos of the new place, enjoy !



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhh...you know burning books is against the law right....?

Truthspew said...

Congrats on the new place. It looks very nice and I'm sure you'll like it.

Some advice if I may. Get about fifty boxes. Seriously - better to have too many than too few.

Second, take a long hard look at everything you have and toss as much as you can before packing to move. With regard to books, donate them to a local library or some other organization.

Last time we moved we'd been in place for 12 years. Filled up two dumpster with shit.

But I lugged my books with me. Always will.

And we tried going minimalist but that didn't work. Matter of fact we now have MORE crap because we moved to a bigger place.

And when we move from here I'll be sure to dumpsterize more crap.

Steph said...

Wow! It looks really nice Matthew! I'm so jelous!

Charlie said...

Ummm not sure if the last post got through but I'll repeat it again. My little man is growing up...WEEEEEE ;).

Bravecat said...

Cute :)