Thursday, January 19, 2006

Co-op !


I got into the Co-op program throught Uvic ! I'm totally stoked. It lets me work in fields related to my actual area of study, in supplement to my Uvic courses. I get credits for each work term, and I get paid by the employer for them ! Each work term is 4 months, the length of a normal school semester, unless the employer wants you for 8 months, which then counts as two terms. They say average pay is $2000 a month, which is a little low, but I don't even have my degree yet, so its just experience-building. My friend, Yuna, got a work term up in Cambell River as a mapmaker for the government and they paid her a housing allowance, cause she was asked to move within a week. I could handle that !

They have asked me for a list of my top four places that I most want to work, and a description of my dream job, which is proving to be a harder task than it sounds. Part of the reason I applied into the program was so that I could figure out what I want to do for a career. I want to do at least one work term at a government position, hopefully in policy analysis or research. OMG, research would be freaking awesome.

1 comment:

Matt™ said...

yes, a wee bit. I hopefully won't have to leave Starbucks. If Mandy will let me cut back my hours while I'm on work placements, and as long as they don't send me away for one. Meh, I'll have to leave Starbucks eventually anyways. I just don't know when.