Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Something to Ponder


Well, despite the fact that a whole TWO! people commented that they still read my blog (and Cody doesn't really count), I am going to keep using it as an online journal of sorts.

I had an interview this morning with CIBC Wood Gundy. They are an investment brokerage firm in Canada, and the interview was for a cold-caller position that would be part-time, working with a team of two Investment Adivsors and their secretary (I think her name was Isabella, something like that...). Its interesting because its an intense sales role in the sense that my job would entirely be just cold calling prospective clients, trying to get appointments booked with the Advisors to help drum-up business as well as the other means at their disposal.

Its interesting in the sense that I have always wanted to be an IA myself, but its a hard job to get started in. You can start with most brokerage firms as one, and they train you and send you out, but the success rate is only like 10-30%... as its salaried in the beginning, but you need to develop a base on which to make a good commission. Normally, beginner IAs need to bring in about $500,000 to a $million/month, or so, in order to make it in their first year. Sp, doing this calling for these guys would be a good way for me to test myself and see if I am ready to try and do this on my own myself.

Because, though that is the more risky route for the job, its also the faster-rewarding. The other option is the one I was aiming for, which is starting as an Account Manager at the bank side of things, not the brokerage, and slowly working to develop myself and a client base... and then eventually in 4-5 years moving over into an IA role once I have the clients already established and my experience in place.

Although the second is more realistic, and more sensible: I am not a patient person, lol! And so, this is kinda my test.

Its a contract position, to work while I am in school for a while here in Montreal, then I will probably have to make a decisions as to which line to follow when I go back to Vancouver (if not beforehand).

Yeeaaa... so thats that. Something for me to ponder.

Now I have to go do a Literature Review for my project for a class... argh, I HATE lit reviews. Sigh, I just wanna be done school already !

No comments: