Thursday, November 15, 2007

Matt is Paranoid...

Okay, so seriously, there is a new technology out there called RFID, I do not know entirely what it stands for and I really do not feel like going into a big long explanation. Suffice to say it would enable a consumer to have information read by an almost standard metal-detector-like sensor. This would facilitate the scanning of passports, credit cards, etc... It is truly interesting technology...

It has already been implimented by the Japanese food chain Domoco, as a trial run...

Here is a short IBM Advertisement for it:



However, there is already some issues with the technology. The state department in the US has implemented voluntary passports that have the technology, allowing a person arriving off of a flight to simply wave their US passport at a detector and walk right through customs, nice and easy right ? Well, the problem lies in the fact that though the material is encrypted and therefore VERY hard to steal about the person, each nation would use slightly different frequencies, allowing the person's nationality to be instantly, and easily, found out. This has been cited as a potential terrorist hazard and an invasion of privacy (bomb could be designed to only go off when a person of a specific nationality walks by with their passport, or certain stores being able to track nationality of clients.. etc)

Anyways, I find it interesting, I think the technology is UBER cool, but I also think that there are some issues that need to be addressed.

Now, and lastly, and I know this makes me sound like a conspiracy theorist, but there was a mention of a passage of the bible (Revelation) on a blog, and the blogger noticed the creepy similarities of this...

I do not presume anything, this is more than likely a simple co-incidence... or is it?
(Keep in mind the ultimate idea is to install these chips in one document that everyone carries, or implant one chip that carries all your financial/nationality info on you, like your right hand.....)

"16And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."
-Revelation 13:16-17

Anyways, if they announce a plan to put them in a head, or on the right hand, then I will geniunely freak out.

Until then, this post is clearly the result of me reading too much about technology while being bored and drinking lots of Starbucks...

...

..

Although, if Starbucks had this, it would make the line move a whole damn faster... !!

3 comments:

Bravecat said...

Sounds scary, actually.

Matt™ said...

It does...

And I read more about it, and they already use it to track shipments and inventory control with many major manufacturing facilities and shippers in Canada and the US, AKA Dell, and Amazon, etc...

I'm just freaked out about when they install it in my hand, lol.

Bravecat said...

Don't let them!!!

I know I wouldn't. All those freaky sci-fi movies about robot-like people left me scared of stuff like that.