Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bank Gossip..... and Mika

So, my coworker at Starbucks, a couple months ago got a job as a teller at the Bank of Montreal... I recommended him, but it was mostly just his own merrit. I was so happy for him, he is awesome, I have kinda known him for about 4 years, he used to work at a Starbucks in James Bay with my best friend at the time, and I have seen him around town a couple times... anyways, it was a good move for him. He has worked for Starbucks since the dawn of time, and is paid absolutely shit, and is trying desperately to leave the party life, and make something of himself, and I just thought this was the best step for him.

So, he still works at my Starbucks once a week at night for extra cash on the side (working fulltime at BMO during the day), and he worked tonight when I went in to get my schedule for next week. Anyways, he and I got talking, and it turns out that the manager that I worked with, Barbara Bell-Irving (yea, I'm not afraid to smear her name all over the net !) has been transferred from my old branch, to his !! He was complaining about this new manager, and how he is sure she is out to fire him, and how she is snooty, self-riteous, really bossy, and oddly enough kinda looks like Miss Piggy (I kid you not...), and I was like "OMG, is her name Barb ?!"... and yea, so the discussion went.

I feel so angry, the woman single-handedly was responsible for three employees either quitting or transferring out while I worked under her, and thats quite a feat when the entire branch had only 9 employees !!! Sarah, whom I love, and haven't talked to in forever (note to self: call Sarah) actually quit one day right on the spot.

Barb used to schedule her to start work right at 9am, even though she was a commercial teller, and therefore had craploads of coin, deposits and cash to count and verify in the morning before we opened. Therefore she needed to start doing this at about 8:30am in order to be ready for our daily 'team huddles' before we opened at 9:30am. Barb took it upon herself to just stop scheduling her at 8:30am, and instead at 9am... which Sarah took, she is a sweet little blonde thing, and just came in early and wouldn't get paid for it... but then it got rediculous... Barb refused to pay her for the half hour, and it honestly makes a difference when all of a sudden your paycheque is 2.5 hours less a week (thats almost $200 less a month), so she stopped coming in early and would come 'on time'... and I would just help her with the deposits and cash, which wasn't my job, but that was fine, to assist and make sure she was done in time.

Then, Barb came and talked to me, and let me know that it was 'inappropriate to support others in doing their jobs', and 'that Sarah was perfectly capable doing it herself', so I had to stop. So, Sarah would come in every morning, count and do as much as she could as fast as she could, and Barb would harp on her for being late to the 'huddles' while forbidding anyone to help her... she would literally sit in her chair in the meeting room and yell accross the branch for Sarah to 'hurry her ass up'.

One day this above scenario happened just like this, except Sarah's dog was ill, and she had been a little late, and Barb was being especially ferocious, even mumbling sarcastically that its hard to come in on time when you start 30 minutes after everyone else (which poor Sarah didn't want to !! lol), and Sarah flipped. She literally smacked down the binder that she wrote her daily counts in on the desk, stood up, walked into the back room, grabbed her stuff, and on her way gave Barb her key to the vault and said 'Fine, I quit'.

It was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen. And damned good for Sarah to do it !

I called her that night, and she was freaked out cause, she had no job, and no plan on what to do, and her fiance made good money, but they needed to make mortgage payments, etc... Anyways, she ended up getting a job as a secretary for HSBC's Premier branch in Oak Bay, assisting and working with their high-end clients. Anyways, she loves it, and really enjoys it now, and its better money, so I was happy for her.

But it makes me sad that now my poor Starbucks coworker will have to put up with Bitchy Barb... one of the nicer names I have for the woman. Sigh, this is the issue working for a big corporation, as much as I love it, and the perks are awesome, big companies never seem able to actually FIRE these horrible people, rather they just move them from department to department (Barb was originally sent to my old branch from Vancouver !!!)... I think its cause she has so much seniority she almost cannot be fired.

Argh, makes me mad. I just hope it doesn't affect his newly-founded carreer. She better not mess with him, or heaven help her if I see Piggy Barb on the street !



ON a positive note... this is Mika's new single, and I Heart it. It could never replace the soft spot in my heart that I have for his others, but its quite possibly my favourite song of his to-date.

Enjoy, I love his artistic style !


5 comments:

Truthspew said...

I seem to run across assholes from time to time in jobs I've had.

The most recent is named Catherine Avila. I know now that her entire claim to fame is knowing people that can cover for her incompetence.

For example, when I was laid off from my last job she said, in front of witnesses that they'd pay me my compensatory time. Yesterday I get a letter stating that they can't.

She's also a sea gull manager.

Anonymous said...

I dunno if I could ever cope working for a bad boss... :(

Anonymous said...

Yikes, if ever there's going to be a bitchy boss in my workplace it's going to be me! :-P

Btw, I'm inlove with Mika so keep yo' hands off my man! *MEOW!!!*

Matt™ said...

Lol, Jab, its okay... I will back away, slowly.

:P

Anonymous said...

LOL. I worked there at the same time as your friend and LOATHED that woman (and I didn't even report to her)! You will be happy to know that she is no longer with the company.