Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Thank You Celine !


It's one in the morning, and I am exuberant. I just figured out a messy little equation, it broke down, and it was all SO simple. I was amazingly nervous for my midterm on Wednesday (which I guess is now tommorrow) because he told us there will be one question worth 40% of the test. I know exactly what that question will be. He will ask us to derive consumer surplus, producer surplus, marginal revenue, marginal profit, and the deadweight loss of a monopoly market. This is a simple task when dealing with real numbers, but he will ask us to derive it using variables in the form of A, B, C, Q and P, making it much harder. I was stumped half way through figuring out one equation, without which, I could not figure out the rest of anything. For three days the solution has eluded me. No more ! It all came together in one of those late night moments of brilliance. I love working until the wee hours of the morning. There is something about the energy late at night. It is calm, serene, and odd. I love knowing that, especially on a Monday night, almost no one in this town is awake except me.

So, there I am, listening to Celine Dion on my iPod, when the moment of clarity struck me. I feel almost high right now. I just scribbled away feverishly for about 20 minutes, with all the other equations falling into perfect order. I solved the question, and feel so much more confident about the test. But, more importantly, I triumphed ! I didn't have to go get help from him, or another student, I did it on my own. And though I know I'm a dork for being exuberant about solving a math equation for an economics question while listening to Celine Dion, I don't care. I did it !

I'm going to make it afterall !!

(I can't help it, I'm listening to cheesy music)

2 comments:

Truthspew said...

Know what saved my ass in both micro and macro economics? Knowing how to program a computer. Once I could get a computer to reliably do predictions I could then do it by heart because I'd broken it down for the computer.

I'm glad you figured it out.

Steph said...

EURIKA!