Monday, June 12, 2006

Top Shop here I come ?


Ok, so ask anyone that knows me, I change my life plans a lot. But, this time, I think its my true inner self is expressing its desires.

You see, I've always been very fashion-conscious. I have even watched runway shows online when I couldn't find a channel showing my favourite designer's line (I'm particularly fond of Miu Miu and DSquared).

Anyways, so tonight I was watching the season finale of Sky One's Project Catwalk. I simply loved the line that the girl that won designed. However, she was not my choice, the third-runner-up was my favourite. She used the most amazing fabrics and was totally over-the-top with her colars and emphasizing details to the extreme. It was while I was critiquing them that I realised that fashion is my love. I am currently reading "The Devil Wears Prada" for the third time, so that it is fresh in my mind for when the movie premiers the end of this month. I just bought a Gucci belt over eBay for a fabulous price, and it simply made my week. I have the best taste and style,... my mom says I inherited her 'painfully expensive' taste.

Nothing in the world would make me happier than the idea of working with fashion and design for the rest of my life. I don't know in what capacity, but I know that is what I want to do. And that is worth listening to, right ? Or am I crazy ... ?

One thing is for sure, I am doing a degree in Economics right now, and that has nothing to do with fashion. I'm halfway through my degree though, so it seems dumb to quit now.

I seriously am considering the possibilities. I don't necessarily have to be a designer, I could open a store and hire a designer for the line, or buy from other designers, but I dunno. I really like the creativity of design. I think the point is that I am an amazingly creative person, and there is literally no creativity in Economics, its just math. I'm good at math, but its not that interesting.

Have the last two years been a complete waste of my time, money ($10,000 of it !) and efforts ?!?!

ARgh, I feel like I am at an impass right now, and I feel the pressure to make the right decision. Maybe I will just complete my degree and save up money working in banking to one day open my store or line, or maybe I'll go to design school after UVic, or maybe I'll just drop out and try design and fail and be a loser....

I fear failure SO much. I want to be successful, and so I base all my decisions on the possibility of success. It's soo many unknowns.... I just don't know.

2 comments:

Bravecat said...

Economics is a GREAT degree to have if you ever consider opening your own business. So don't quit. Much good fashion studies will do to you if you don't have the talent and if you don't have the knowledge to cash it out. However, if you DO have the talent, plus the degree in economics - I can sense a very bright prospect there :^)
Finish what you are doing, and then you could always get "fashionably trained", lol. Good luck!

Steph said...

You could also do fashion as a hobbie. I considered going to school for photography but I decided that it would take the fun out of it for me to HAVE to do it and HAVE to take certain pictures insted of just taking the ones I want went I want because I like to.