Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Hunt Continues ...

Update on my Co-op hunting status:

There is the most perfect position in the world open right now, it closes in 2 days, and not a single person has applied for it yet !

It's in Cambell River, which is VERY remote and an insanely long drive from where I am. I don't mind that so much, because my mom knows someone there who has a friend who could rent me there basement suite. The position itself is amazing, its a Research Assistant with the Vancouver Island Health Authority, working with their study on aboriginal health issues. You have to have database experience, good analytical skills, and able to work as a team member. I am swimming in these and other skills.

So, whats the problem you ask... glad ya did ! ;)

See, my mom is finishing her Master's degree in Applied Communication, and therefore she needs me from time to time to babysit my 9 year-old brother. She plans on working full-time when she graduates, and therefore she will need me to babysit a lot for July and August when school is out for him. This means that if I move she would have to hire a full-time babysitter, or else have him stay with other family a lot, which isn't very healthy for him, and is also kinda expensive. Yes, I know that was a run-on sentence. So for that reason, I don't think I can move this summer for a position. It would be fine if the position was in September, because my brother would have school, and in fact, I plan on being a little more aggressive in looking for a September internship, cause then I would be able to move for 4 months.

It's just soo annoying that I have these responsibilities that are taking me away from what could be a great opportunity for me build experience towards a career. It makes me mad, but I also would feel mean and selfish if I told my mom I was applying anyways, and would leave if I got it. This sort of situation happens to me a lot. I'll get over it. It's just too bad.

4 comments:

Bravecat said...

Your mom is lucky to have you :^)

Look on the bright side of it: when your brother grows up and gets a job you could ask him to pay you a percentage since YOU gave up certain opportunities for him when he was a little boy.

Hehe

Matt™ said...

hrmm, good idea!

Matt™ said...

Hrm. Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact I prolly can't move this summer, I would totally take the position.

It would be an adventure in CR ! :D

Blogger said...

Welcome aboard to the blogging Vancouver Island Style.

And at the same time " You're Fired! "