Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Always the Skeptic


Well, I haven't been blogging much because I've been uber busy working on applying for Co-op positions. In the midst of it all, I got a job offering from a company. So, I say to myself, what's the catch ?

Well, the company is based in Nashville, Tennesee; It's called Southwestern and they publish children's learning books, CD's, high school study guides and much more. Now, I was kind of skeptical at first, because you have to relocate for the entire summer, and you are selling books, but its a very renowned company. There are Senators that worked for them in they're youth, that and other things made me feel more confident. I went to a "Corporate Spotlight" today, it was a great lunch at a really nice restaurant. There is an intense 4 interview process, they don't so much want you to have experience with sales or anything, but they want to make sure you have the right personality.

I appreciated that the woman hosting it was honest too. She said its a great opportunity for the summer, and the money is amazing, but the work is hard. Their summer interns work about 60-80 hours a week. There also is no guaranteed salary, you earn commission, nothing else, so if you don't sell anything, you get nothing. The sales experience looks amazing, and they often promote people the area sales managers for next summer if you want to return.

They are supported by UVic's Co-op program and the university's Co-op co-ordinator told me she knows many students who worked with Southwestern in the summer, and she hasn't ever heard any complaints beyond it being hard work.

I am intrigued and therefore have started they're rigurous interview process. The recruiter said that they will have to chose 40 people from Victoria from about 400 applicants. Therefore, she said, we shouldn't be disappointed if we are rejected.

Anyways, I'm off to go work on an online assignment, and then maybe read before bed. Argh, I have an 8:30am class tommorrow. How inhumane.

UPDATE:

I didn't go through with the interview process, who wants to sell books all summer long ??

3 comments:

Steph said...

You need to make time for me! It's nessesity! We're still going to the drive through practice at the douglas Starbucks right? I can does Tuesday or Thursday but nor Wednesday.

Matt™ said...

yes, we are. Hrm. It's already thursday. Go with me tommorrow before work ? I work at 3pm.. :D
pleeeease.

Bravecat said...

I couldn't sell water to the thirsty. I can't sell anything to save my life. I admire people who can sell. I can't even bargain! I suck.