Tuesday, March 14, 2006

It (hopefully) begins...

Not as dramatic of a title as it could have been. I had my last Co-op workshop today. We had a guest speaker from the BC Ministry of Advanced Education. He was clearly nervous at the beginning but as we asked questions it softened him up and he clearly became a lot more comfortable. It was an intense two hours of us sucking him dry of any information he had that we could use to our advantage. The government here accounts for about 60% of all Co-op placements, so you can understand our enthusiasm, plus Co-op is fairly competitive. fairly being an understatement. He also said that most of the senior managers and advisors in the government are expected to be retiring in the next 5-8 years, and that now is the best time ever to try to get into government work. I want to work all my four Co-op placements with the government if I can, because I want to work for them once I'm done my degree. All the jobs that I have applied to, I've told them this on the cover letter. I'm totally excited about my prospects and I applied to two more postings today, and plan on applying to another tommorrow. That will bring the number I have applied for to six, but I have yet to get an interview. Well, they haven't even closed yet so I shouldn't worry.

On another note, I went into work today to get a coffee and my new schedule. Steph was closing for the first time with Anthony, who isn't the hardest worker or best closer, but meh. There was something off about Steph, I couldn't place my finger on it, but I think something was bothering her. Anyways, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

2 comments:

Bravecat said...

Probably she was still worried over those numbers she'd forgotten. I hope nothing more serious than that... My regards to her. And hey, I updated, JUST FOR YOU!

Steph said...

Nothing was bothering me... Sometimes people notice that I'm bothered by something before I do but I really can't think if anything that it might have been... Actually, I think it was a good close. I had to call home to get a code for something (must bring those to work), and I left the lights on, but other than that I think it went well. I'll talk to you about it more later.