Monday, October 09, 2006

I don't know

Sometimes things seem like a bad idea, and they do turn out to be mistakes. Sometimes things seem like a bad idea, and they turn out to be good. So, I'm left with the question: Under which category does this choice fall ?

Cody and I are taking 'a break' per sae. We started dating not long before he moved to Montreal, and we have been kinda intense ever since. I think I said it best when I stated that we 'felt like a married couple'. We have downgraded (for lack of a better word) to the status of seeing one another until he comes back from Montreal.

This way neither of us is worried about the other, or feeling like they are highly commited. We are 'open', but only if it happens and the opportunity presents itself, we may sleep with someone else. No other relationships, no other dating, and always safe-sex practices, no question.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. It could be the saving grace we hope it is, and therefore we can almost start anew when he returns, and not jump right in as fast as we did into a relationship. We have been fighting a lot recently, and I think it was because we were fustrated at our commitments to one another, but not reaping any of the benefits of the relationship. I couldn't even snuggle with him for the past 5 weeks.

The more I think about it, the more I think that I just want a snuggle buddy, haha. I don't really feel the need to have sex now that we have agreed it is ok for the next while, but snuggling is definately needed right now. I don't know if that would be appropriate though.

Sigh, I hope this isn't the start of the end of our relationship. Cody had a good point though, this may make us appreciate one another more when we are finally close again, and it may prove to strengthen us. If we don't come out wanting to be together, maybe we weren't meant to be ?

I don't know, too much philosophy at 1:30am. I'm going to bed.

What do you think ? Are we idiots, or have we found a creative solution?

3 comments:

Bravecat said...

You just miss each other, and you started taking this frustration out on each other. Seeing others will only make your fights worse. Wait for each other. It sure sounds like your relationship is worth it.

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry i have to totally disagree with that comment...its hard to have a real committed relationship when the relationship has always been a long distance one...matt, darling, you know what i think and i totally think you guys are making the right decision for right now

Steph said...

Personally I think the best solution differs for every couple. If I were in a relationship I would want the person to wait for me if I was willing to wait for them. Having said that, you and I are totally different people. In the end, whatever happens happens, no matter what decision you make. You are powerless to fate.